Telit Wireless SolutionsTelit is a wireless technology company which designs, develops, manufactures and markets GSM, GPRS, UMTS, HSDPA, CDMA and short range RF (including WiFi and ZigBee) communication modules for m2m applications. The Company’s technology and products enable other electronic devices and equipment manufacturers to utilize GSM and GPRS cellular infrastructure to relay and accept information without human intervention. m2m applications therefore enable machines, devices and vehicles to communicate via wireless networks.
Telit’s m2m solutions utilize a proprietary protocol stack, the software for the cellular engine, that facilitates communication between industry vertical applications and a wireless network.
In 1986 the company started as Telital and Telital automotive - an engineering company providing research and development services to multinational telecoms. In 1997, the company began manufacturing and marketing products under the Telit brand. Telit launched its first M2M module called Datablock in 1998. Since 1997, millions of cellular handsets and other mobile communications devices such as the first Globalstar satellite mobile phone have been supplied to users and operators worldwide. Today, Telit develops, manufactures and markets GSM/GPRS, UMTS/HSDPA and CDMA/EVDO enterprise communication modules for machine-to-machine (m2m) applications which streamline business processes by enabling machines, devices and vehicles to communicate via mobile networks.
Allowing real-time monitoring and control, minimizing or dispensing human intervention, M2M is gaining significant market traction as it addresses the ever-increasing demands in speed, savings, and accuracy in the business world. Today, M2M applications are serving key functions. The M2M market is growing rapidly. According to ABI Research, the compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of the global M2M market during the forecast period between 2006 and 2012 is expected to be 31%.
What is m2m communication about?
The chief value of M2M (Machine to Machine) is to enable applications that allow businesses to increase productivity and competitiveness through increased efficiencies, cost-savings, and improved levels of service. M2M refers to telemetry or telematics that is accomplished using networks, especially public wireless networks. Key-applications are:
- Connecting machines to other machines - e.g. remote production environments.
- Connecting machines to service centers - e.g. cars that automatically notify service centers of maintenance issues.
- Connecting service centers to machines - e.g. vending machines that report the stock status to a central inventory system.
- Connecting individuals or vehicles to machines - e.g. indicating their geographical position for enhanced personal security.
M2M applications can be found in a wide range of industries and sectors including vending machines, automated meter reading (AMR), point of sales terminals, transport and logistics, healthcare, security technology and many other applications.
To ensure that value-chain players can profit from efficiency benefits afforded by the use of M2M modules, high quality, cost-effective, scalable and market-oriented solutions are needed. Additionally, the demands on M2M modules will continue to increase in the future - requiring substantial added versatility in use. The integration of complementary technologies such as GPS (Global Positioning System), Bluetooth and ZigBee at the module level will gain importance from the perspective of total cost of ownership and time to market.
Telit has proven to be a good choice for customers needing a solid GSM/GPRS or CDMA solution
- Telit offers a future upgrade path with Firmware Over The Air (FOTA)
- Telit designed and owns its own GSM protocol stack instead of licensing it from a third party. Reduces customer’s risk and enables Telit to offer new services faster than competition
- Telit has a unified form factor across the different cellular standards GSM/GPRS, CDMA, HSDPA
- Telit modules are fully certified: PTCRB, FCC
- Telit modules include a Jamming Detection report for increased security
View Telit Product Technologies
Featured Telit Products
A guide to the M2M product design cycle including regulatory...
Telit Cellular In A Box Kits Product Guide
Telit 2 Market - The M2M Magazine - 10th Anniversay Issue
Discusses requirements to engaging the Smart Grid market.
Telit 2014 Integration Guide
Telit White Paper
Telit White Paper
Telit Wireless Solutions Technical FAQs