Renesas Electronics customers can add Wi-Fi connectivity using GainSpan's GS1011M and GS1500M low power Wi-Fi modules and develop their solutions with the Wi-Fi Adapter Boards, evaluation boards and drivers from GainSpan. All the GainSpan solutions work seamlessly with Renesas MCUs.
The Wi-Fi Adapter Boards come in two configurations: the WAB-GW-GS1011MIP, an ultra-low power 802.11b solution based on the GS1011MIP and the WAB-GW-GS1500M an 802.11b/g/n solution based on the GS1500M module. The modules plug into the Renesas development boards through the Application Header Interface or PMOD connectors that are used, for example, on the RL78 and RX62/ RX63 Renesas Demo kits (RDK). For other Renesas development boards, GainSpan offers evaluation boards that interface through an RS-232 connector.
GainSpan provides also drivers for most Renesas microcontrollers including the RL78, RX62, RX63, V850, SuperH, 78K0 and 78K0R and due to their small footprint may be used with the IAR Embedded Workbench Kickstart Edition. Drivers for other Renesas MCU's are also in development. Drivers are available for UART or SPI interface:
Demo code is also available to display RDK sensors information on iOS and Android devices.
Wi-Fi Adapter Boards Benefits:
- Brings leading edge Wi-Fi and web connectivity to any platform with a microcontroller and serial HOST interface (UART or SPI)
- Reduces development time while accelerating time to market
- Self contained solution minimizes host processor loading
- Easy device provisioning through ad-hoc or Wi-Fi Protected Set-up (WPS)
- Low power consumption through dynamic power management modes: Sleep and Deep Sleep
- Single power source of 3.3V
- Certified Modules (FCC/IC, Wi-Fi)
- Rich I/O interfaces such as SPI, UART, GPIO, I2C, ADC, JTAG
- Operates with standard 802.11b/g/n access points at speeds up to 72.2 Mbps: Infrastructure or Adhoc mode
- Supports peer to peer networking
- Multiple UART and SPI interfaces:
- Supports Master and Slave SPI Modes
- Up to 11 Mbps in SPI Master Mode
- Up to 3 Mbps in SPI Slave Mode
- Up to 921.6 kbps on UART
- Full Wi-Fi stack including WPS and optional networking stack and services
- 802.11i Security: WEP, WPA/WPA2 (AES and TKIP), Enterprise