Supplier Spotlight - Decawave | Symmetry Blog
Each week, we'll be showcasing one of our suppliers from our line card and what distinguishes them from the competition. This week's supplier is Decawave, a global provider of real-time, local area micro-location service solutions.
Who is Decawave?
Decawave develops semiconductor or solutions, software, modules and reference designs that enable real-time, ultra-accurate, ultra-reliable local area micro-location services. Their UWB wireless technology enables an entirely new class of easy to implement, highly secure, intelligent location functionality and services for IoT and smart consumer products and applications. Decawave is headquartered in Ireland, with regional headquarters in California and China, and a presence in South Korea, France and Japan.
What are their most popular products?
MDEK1001 provides customers interested in a scalable RTLS network solution, the necessary hardware, software and development environment to quickly evaluate its features and performance. The evaluation kit includes 12 encased development boards (DWM1001-DEV).
Evaluation and development kit based on DWM1001
- Out-of-the-box wireless Real-Time Location System (RTLS)
- Quickly evaluate DWM1001 module capabilities
- APIs to customize the Firmware to your application
- Combine several kits and build your proof of concepts
- 12 DWM1001-DEV boards configurable as anchors, tags or gateway (requires additional Raspberry Pi)
- Quick Start Guide
- 1 x USB cable for flashing & debugging
- 12 x battery connectors for Li-Po batteries (batteries not included)
- Software - Available at www.decawave.com/support/software
- Embedded Firmware binaries (tag, anchor, gateway)
- Mobile Application (requires a Tablet or Smartphone running Android 6.0 or later)
- PC application Q4 2018
- FCC & ETSI Certification: Q4 2018
The DWM1001 module combines the DW1000, a Nordic Semiconductor nRF52832 MCU and a 3-axis accelerometer. Each mode can be configured as an RTLS anchor or tag and additionally can act as a network gateway device.
Like the previous bestselling DWM1000 module, the DWM1001 module will be based on the same UWB DW1000 silicon from Decawave. However, unlike the DWM1000, DWM1001 will have a BLE radio (Nordic nRF52), and the module will come pre-loaded with a “ready to go” RTLS firmware stack., AND ship pre-certified! This immense leap forward for Decawave and UWB technology, enabling a much quicker design cycle for customers looking to implement “indoor GPS” capability with <10cm accuracy.
How do their products help your design?
Companies are adding more intelligence into their products and facilities to make businesses more efficient, workplaces safer, and services and solutions more innovative and valuable.
True intelligent services require real-time data across three vectors: what (actions), when (time) and where (location). But existing technology cannot accurately and reliably provide location information, especially indoors.
Decawave can provide the key missing element – accurate, reliable, real-time location of people and assets, both indoors and outdoors.
They help make “smart” devices even smarter by delivering ultra-accurate, real-time location information for indoor and outdoor connectivity. They give contextual location data that enables improved access, control, decision making, and safety
- Adaptive lighting/AC
- Location based speaker systems
- Safety monitoring and access systems (children, pets, elderly)
- Door locks and garage openers
- Home networks and wireless connectivity
- Payment security
- Sports analytics
- Mobile accessories
From factories to warehouses, hospitals to retail, agriculture to mines, they deliver real-time, ultra-reliable location information that enables industries to digitalize and optimize virtually every aspect of asset and data management for greater efficiency and workplace safety.
- Process/flow/layout optimization
- Real-time view of work in progress
- Zonal lighting and HVAC control
- Asset utilization optimization
- Robots and people navigation
- Employee compliance monitoring
- Isolated worker protection
- AGVs/forklifts collision avoidance
- Tools activation/deactivation
- Asset theft prevention
- Wireless network data security
The automotive industry is moving toward shared mobility and autonomous vehicles. They provide advanced location detection that enables improved communication technologies, advanced security and safety features, and greater convenience.
- Secure car access (Passive entry/passive start)
- In-car communication
- Electric car wireless charging
- Valet parking/convenience parking
- Vehicle to infrastructure communication
- Tire pressure monitoring system communication
- Vehicle-to-vehicle communication
- Pedestrian and cyclist collision avoidance
- Smart city tolling and parking management
Looking to integrate Decawave products with your design? Our Applications Engineers offer free design and technical help for your latest designs. Contact us today!
Why partner with Symmetry Electronics? Symmetry's technical staff is specially trained by our suppliers to provide a comprehensive level of technical support. Our in-house Applications Engineers provide free design services to help customers early in the design cycle, providing solutions to save them time, money and frustration. Contact Symmetry for more information.
Sign up to get tech news, product updates and store promos from Symmetry Electronics.Subscribe