From Digi: "2018 Year in Review: Our IoT Announcements You May Have Missed"
We are excited about the 2019 year ahead, here at Digi International, where we’ve been turning up the heat on all things IoT, from embedded devices to high-performance routers, complete solutions for supply chain and food service monitoring, and tools for managing every aspect of your IoT deployment.
Before the lights go out on 2018, let’s take a quick tour of the major events of the year.
Our year was packed with roll-outs of new hardware and software solutions to support the increasingly complex IoT landscape. A few highlights of the year included the following:
- In January, Digi launched the new Digi XBee3(TM)® line of smart edge IoT modules and modems. The XBee3 modules come in a micro form factor, and are some of the smallest MicroPython-programmable modules in the industry, at one-third of the size of the original Digi XBee3. These modular devices enable greater IoT innovation at the network edge, making it possible to add new functions as requirements change. The initial release included RF (Zigbee 3.0, IEEE 802.15.4) and cellular options (Cellular Cat-1), with LTE-M/NB-IoT announced as roadmap items.
- In July, we announced our newest cellular router, the Digi TransPort® WR64. This high-performance, dual module LTE-Advanced router provides redundant communications for complex transit systems. The WR64 provides transit agencies and their riders with cellular and Wi-Fi connectivity today, and is designed for future network advances, with the ability to add components for 5G functionality. The WR64 provides security, firewall and VPN functions, in addition to enterprise class routing.
- Following our previous release of 3G/Cat 1 XBee3 modules, in November we rolled out the Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M/NB-IoT modules. These global LTE-M/NB-IoT modules include multi-band support to integrate with many different cellular carriers worldwide. They provide the connectivity for low-cost, low power applications, and have a range of enhanced features including integrated MicroPython programmability for edge computing, the Digi TrustFence® security framework and CE/RED certification, as well as remote configuration and management with XCTU and Digi Remote Manager®.
Our customers are our pride and joy, and we get pretty excited when we bring a new special customer into the fold. You can read about customer case studies on the Digi International website. What follows are some of our customer announcements from 2018.
- The Zamboni Company chose Digi to provide the technology for its IoT solution, Zamboni Connect™. This solution, which incorporates the Digi Wireless Vehicle Bus Adapter, outfits ice rinks with the world’s first smart ice resurfacer, and provides insight into resource management and decision-making based on actual machine and operator performance.
- SmartDrive chose Digi as the solution provider for the technology behind their telematics platform for driver monitoring and fleet management. The company required a production-ready next-generation telematics device that could be installed easily using a car’s built-in 12-volt power outlet. The core of the platform is the Digi ConnectCore® 6UL, a compact and highly integrated System on Module that provides complete out-of-the-box software support for rapid development.
- Festival Foods selected SmartSense by Digi® for food safety monitoring and task management. The complete food safety solutions from SmartSense are integrated and ready to deploy sensors and visualization tools for monitoring temperature-sensitive products in groceries, restaurants, healthcare and supply chain applications. Festival Foods completed a 30-day pilot that included real-time monitoring of all refrigeration units and deli cases, as well as automated task management, and then implemented the solution across their 32 locations. The ROI of deploying these solutions is enormous, as it thwarts the high cost of lost inventory due to equipment failures. The solutions provide additional savings in efficiency, as staff members do not have to manually monitor and record product and refrigeration unit temperatures. In year two of the deployment, Festival Foods expects to realize a 300% return on its annual investment.
- Trimble also leveraged SmartSense by Digi® to aggregate temperature information for food safety systems. Trimble implemented SmartSense solutions’ Supply Chain Visibility system for trucking fleets. The integration of SmartSense temperature monitoring solutions into Trimble’s vehicle fleets establishes an end-to-end flow of data for ongoing monitoring. By placing temperature sensors and cellular gateways on fleets of vehicles, the company can collect and transmit information, and gain access to real-time temperature analytics.
Company Growth Announcements
2018 was a great year for Digi, as a leading global provider of business and mission-critical Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity products and services. The demand for IoT connectivity solutions continues to grow, and we are continually expanding our services and solutions to support the needs of industrial and business applications.
- One of our most exciting announcements of the year was the January acquisition of Accelerated Concepts, a provider of enterprise class cellular routers. This acquisition enhanced Digi’s existing cellular router lines and supported growth into the business market. Digi has long been a key player in the industrial IoT (IIoT) realm, with our rugged line of M2M cellular routers and network appliance products, including gateways, serial servers and USB connectivity devices. The Accelerated acquisition added a very strong complement to our existing cellular router lines while also complementing our team with additional bright, entrepreneurial-minded and collaborate staff. Our merger is complete as of January 1, 2019.
- Another earth-shaking update of all for Digi International was the announcement of our new global headquarters at Excelsior Crossings, in Hopkins, Minnesota. At this writing, we are gearing up for the move in just a few short weeks. To quote our press release, Excelsior Crossings is “a modern, sustainable, three-building, 31-acre corporate campus [which] will enhance Digi’s culture with a work environment that stimulates innovation via energy, creativity and collaboration.” The excitement at the current headquarters is palpable as we pack boxes and prepare to move on up.
- And finally, we had a banner year of growth in our business, and are well positioned for continued healthy expansion as IoT solutions increasingly become a necessity for businesses worldwide. Read the press release: Digi International Reports Fourth Fiscal Quarter and Full Year 2018 Results Strong Performance from Both Business Segments Drives Record Revenues.
We at Digi thank our customers, our global partners and our worldwide team members for a fantastic year, and look forward to great things to come.
Looking to integrate Digi products with your design? Our Applications Engineers offer free design and technical help for your latest designs. Contact us today!
Why partner with Symmetry Electronics? Symmetry's technical staff is specially trained by our suppliers to provide a comprehensive level of technical support. Our in-house Applications Engineers provide free design services to help customers early in the design cycle, providing solutions to save them time, money and frustration. Contact Symmetry for more information.