From InvenSense: "TDK launches portfolio of sensors and technologies enabling the next-generation of all-in-one VR platforms"
- InvenSense CORONA™ family of motion sensors optimized for head-mounted-displays (HMDs) and handheld controllers.
- Chirp SonicTrack™ inside-out 6-DoF ultrasonic controller tracking solution for all-in-one (AIO) virtual reality systems.
- Sensor fusion software that converts the individual sensor signals into an accurate motion-position-orientation tracking solution to accelerate OEM time-to-market.
- TDK high-resolution Tunnel-Magneto-Resistive sensing elements for high-definition magnetometers.
January 7, 2019
TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces today the launch of a complete portfolio of VR sensors enabling a new class of highly accurate and affordable all-in-one VR solutions. The key platform components are:
- InvenSense ICM-42688 6-axis motion sensor for HMDs provides the lowest noise figure in the industry and features the only high-resolution measurement mode, enabling the measurement of VR headset movement with unprecedented accuracy.
- InvenSense ICM-42686 6-axis motion sensor for VR controllers provides the industry’s only extended range motion measurement mode, enabling the accurate tracking of the handheld controller movement at any speed.
- Chirp Microsystem’s ultralow power CH-101 ultrasonic transceiver coupled with Chirp’s SonicTrack™ system is the only time-of-flight based inside-out tracking solution for all-in-one VR systems that delivers true 3D positioning between the head-mounted-display and the handheld controllers.
- TDK Sensor Fusion software that processes the sensor inputs simultaneously to create a simple, fused output that describes the exact 3D position and movement of all VR HW components and runs on commercial application processors.
- TDK TMR sensing elements that enable magnetometers with significantly higher resolution than traditional Hall-effect based magnetometers, thereby enabling the exact determination of the orientation changes of the HMD and controllers.
The key sensor requirement for any VR system is the precise alignment between the Head-Mounted-Display (HMD) and the Handheld Controllers. This means that even the slightest head or the most extreme hand movement needs to be measured fast and accurately, to allow the immediate rendering of the changed VR scenery. Even small misalignments between the HMD and controllers can severely impact the user experience and eventually lead to game-over “motion sickness”.
In addition to the excellent performance of the VR sensor platform, TDK all-in-one VR platform also sets new standards with respect to small size, low weight, and reduced Bill-of-Materials (BOM), which taken together enable the most affordable and wearable all-in-one VR systems in the industry.
“At this year’s CES show we’re announcing innovative VR solutions with some of the world’s leading VR system providers like HTC and platform enablers like Qualcomm, and together we’re shaping the all-in-one AR/VR/XR space,” said Behrooz Abdi, president and general manager of MEMS sensors business group at TDK. “We’re AR/VR enthusiasts ourselves, so we’re motivated to always refine the precision and accuracy of our technology, removing timing lags and hiccups, thus allowing for a truly immersive AR/VR experience.”
TDK and its group companies offer a comprehensive portfolio of sensors, electronic components and solutions for mobile, wearables, AR/VR, automotive, IoT and industrial applications will be at CES 2019, showcasing the next-generation of all-in-one VR platforms, in Booth #30306, Las Vegas Convention Center, South Hall 3, January 8-11, Las Vegas, Nev. Please visit: www.invensense.com or contact InvenSense Sales at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. TDK TMR sensing element-based magnetometers are available from TDK partner AKM (www.akm.com), and samples are available under the part number AK09940.
- AR/VR: Augmented Reality / Virtual Reality / Extended Reality
- AIO: All-in-One
- HMD: Head Mounted Device
- 6-Axis: 3-Axis Gyroscope + 3-Axis Accelerometer
- 6-DoF: Six Degrees of Freedom (Three degrees of x-y-z SHIFT and three degrees of x-y-z ROTATION)
- High performance head mounted displays (HMDs) for VR
- Glasses and other head-worn displays for AR/VR/MR
- Game controllers
- Handheld consumer electronics
Key features and benefits:
- Lowest gyroscope and accelerometer noise, fundamental for AR/VR system accuracy
- Best gyroscope temperature stability, critical to maintain precise motion measurement in AR/VR subsystems
- Mobile optimized ultralow power, light weight and does not require base station
- Only motion sensor that can synchronize samples to eliminate critical timing errors
- Highest motion measurement range and resolution, indispensable for accurate measurement of head/hand movement in gaming and virtual reality applications
Looking to integrate InvenSense products with your design? Our Applications Engineers offer free design and technical help for your latest designs. Contact us today!
Why partner with Symmetry Electronics? Symmetry's technical staff is specially trained by our suppliers to provide a comprehensive level of technical support. Our in-house Applications Engineers provide free design services to help customers early in the design cycle, providing solutions to save them time, money and frustration. Contact Symmetry for more information.