From InvenSense: "TDK launches premium motion sensor optimized for optical and computational image stabilization applications"
- The new InvenSense CORONA ICM-42622 6-axis motion sensor delivers unparalleled sensor performance for enhanced 4-axis optical and computational stabilization techniques for still images and video.
- The newest sensor introduces industry-leading sensor accuracy and high-speed sampling capabilities for the most demanding optical and computational image stabilization applications in smartphones, cameras and consumer electronics.
January 8, 2019
TDK Corporation (TSE:6762) announces the newest additions to the InvenSense CORONA premium motion sensor product family, the world’s only 6-axis IMUs optimized for the most demanding optical and computational image stabilization requirements.
The new InvenSense ICM-42622 6-axis IMU excels in OIS and CIS applications due to its industry-leading sensor performance and features:
- Up to 40% lower noise enables more accurate motion sensing,
- Up to 65% lower bias drift when subjected to temperature changes,
- 4x higher sample rate for precise correlation of device motion and camera shutter,
- Unique sample synchronization with the host processor to eliminate timing errors .
The new ICM-42622 motion sensor enables improved high-dynamic-range photography and burst imaging, which require the combining and post-processing of multiple raw pixel maps. Detecting the slightest shifts among raw pixel maps that are captured at different times is essential for fast and flawless combining of these maps. Only the precise measurement of the pixel shift between successive frames can accelerate the subsequent burst image processing to the point where it can provide real-time images without noticeable delay.
In addition, the unparalleled measurement accuracy and drift stability of the ICM-42622 enables optical image stabilization that is twice as precise as the performance which competing motion sensors can support. The ICM-42622 performance thereby effectively doubles the exposure time during low-light photography, providing the equivalent of one aperture stop, which raises smartphone camera image quality to that of DSLR cameras.
“The ICM-42622 motion sensor continues our history of being first to market with performance leading imaging features,” said Amir Panush, vice president and general manager of the MEMS motion and pressure sensors business at TDK. “In 2016 our ICM-20690 pioneered the use of a single motion sensor in Smartphones that can support imaging and sensor-hub functionality, and with the ICM-42622 we’re launching a new generation of 6-axis motion sensors that delivers professional-grade imaging performance in Flagship Smartphones and a wide array of consumer electronics devices.”
InvenSense, a TDK group company, will be at CES 2019, showcasing the CORONA sensor product line, along with additional innovative sensor solutions, in Booth #30306, Las Vegas Convention Center, South Hall 3, January 8-11, Las Vegas, Nev. Please visit: www.invensense.com or contact InvenSense Sales at email@example.com for more information.
- IMU: Inertial Measurement Unit
- OIS: Optical Image Stabilization
- CIS: Computational Image Stabilization
- 6-Axis: 3-Axis Gyroscope + 3-Axis Accelerometer
- IoT: Internet of Things
- Premium smartphones
- Digital SLR (DSLR) cameras
- High accuracy robotics
- Precision IoT devices such as wearables and fitness trackers
Key features and benefits:
- Lowest gyroscope and accelerometer noise, fundamental for true 4-axis OIS
- Highest gyroscope temperature stability, critical to maintain precise image stabilization
- Fastest sampling capability to support motion correction during rolling-shutter operation
- The only motion sensor that can synchronize samples to eliminate critical timing errors
Looking to integrate InvenSense products with your design? Our Applications Engineers offer free design and technical help for your latest designs. Contact us today!
Why partner with Symmetry Electronics? Symmetry's technical staff is specially trained by our suppliers to provide a comprehensive level of technical support. Our in-house Applications Engineers provide free design services to help customers early in the design cycle, providing solutions to save them time, money and frustration. Contact Symmetry for more information.