DWM3000 UWB Module Delivers 10cm Accuracy | Symmetry Blog
Based on Qorvo-Decawave’s DW3110 IC, ultra-wideband (UWB) compliant wireless transceiver, the DWM3000 combines an antenna, RF and clock circuitry, and power management into a single module to allow for cost savings and simplified design integration. Delivering asset location accuracy of 10 cm with data rate support up to 6.8 Mbps, the DWM3000 is optimal for Two-Way Ranging (TWR) or Time Difference of Arrival (TDoA), battery-powered UWB applications. Offering pin and size compatibility with the previous generation DWM1000 module, the DWM3000 provides lower power consumption and the addition of CH9 support for compatibility in most regions.
Key Benefits of the DWM3000
The integrated features of the DWM3000 accelerate time to market by eliminating the need for RF design implementation or the required infrastructure for Real-Time Location Systems (RTLS). Delivering high multipath fading immunity, the DWM3000 supports high tag densities while delivering precise location accuracy. Low power consumption reduces the need to replace or recharge batteries and thus saves on overall system costs.
DWM3000 Key Features
- Integration of DW3110 IC, antenna, power management, clock control, and optimum RF layout simplifies design integration
- Easily interfaced via SPI slave to a wide range of microcontrollers (MCUs)
- IEEE 802.15.4-2015 and IEEE 802.15.4z BPRF compliant
- Worldwide UWB support with UWB Channels 5 (6.5GHz) and CH9 (8GHz)
- Data rates of 850Kbps and 6.8Mbps
- Ranging accuracy: <10cm, StdDev: 3cm
- Up to 1023 bytes of data payload
- VDD3V3 2.5V – 3.6V and VDD1 1.62V – 3.6V supply voltage
- 23mm x 13mm x 2.9mm 24-pin side castellations
- Supports ToF, TWR, and TDoA location schemes
DWM3000 Ultra-Wideband Applications
The DWM3000 UWB transceiver module supports applications in precision real-time location systems and location aware wireless sensor networks (WSNs) across several markets:
- Asset tracking
- Consumer RTLS
- Building Control & Automation
- Factory Automation
- Safety & Security
- Warehousing & Logistics
DWS3000 UWB Transceiver Arduino Shield
Designed for the evaluation of the DWM3000 module for use in RTLS applications, the DWS3000 Arduino shield requires an Arduino Uno compatible development board and offers flexibility to work with an MCU of choice. Contact Symmetry for suggestions on microcontroller selection.
Get started on your next UWB application with Qorvo-Decawave’s DWM3000 module.
Why partner with Symmetry Electronics? Symmetry's technical staff is specially trained by our suppliers to provide a comprehensive level of technical support. Our in-house Applications Engineers provide free design services to help customers early in the design cycle, providing solutions to save them time, money and frustration. Contact Symmetry for more information.