The Nordic Thingy:91 is the ideal way to kickstart your cellular IoT project using the nRF9160 SiP. Thingy:91 is equipped with a broad collection of diverse sensors and interfaces that make it highly adaptable to rapid prototyping and getting your proof of concept off the ground in no time at all.
ASSET TRACKER APPLICATION ON-BOARD
The Nordic Thingy:91 comes with a pre-loaded asset-tracking application that makes use of many of the on-kit sensors in addition to LTE-M and GPS which works from device to the cloud to provide users with a working out-of-the-box asset tracking and monitoring experience when they receive the Thingy:91. The asset tracker application is richly featured for this use-case, however Nordic Thingy:91 can be reprogrammed with any dedicated application of your choice.
BASED AROUND THE nRF9160 SiP FOR LTE-M & NB-IoT with GPS
The Nordic Thingy:91 is built around the nRF9160 system-in-Package (SiP). nRF9160 has a separate application/radio modem architecture which aids development simplicity and overall performance. It incorporates the latest Arm Cortex-M33 as a dedicated application processor which is used solely for powerful application processing. The dedicated radio system can support both LTE-M and NB-IoT technologies. The radio also supports GPS for precise positioning in your applications. The nRF9160 SiP integrates a full front-end RF system, together with a complete power management system.
STATE-OF-THE-ART SECURITY WITH ARM TRUSTZONE
Security is critically important to IoT. The nRF9160 takes the latest addition to Cortex-M architectures by using Arm TrustZone for secure boot and secure execution within the device. This technology has been the mainstay of secure operation in Cortex-A devices and is typically used to build secure operation in smartphones and tablets.
DEVELOP CELLULAR IoT AND BLUETOOTH HYBRID APPLICATIONS
Nordic Thingy:91 has Nordic’s flagship multiprotocol SoC for short-range application, the nRF52840. The nRF52840 supports multiprotocol performance with a broad range of protocols including Bluetooth 5 and NFC.
Short-range wireless has some very exciting possibilities when used in conjunction with cellular IoT technology and Nordic Thingy:91 enables you to explore these possibilities.
BROAD SELECTION OF SENSORS AND FEATURES ON-BOARD
The Nordic Thingy:91 has is packed with sensors to offer a broad range of development possibilities.
- Battery-operated prototyping platform for the nRf9160 SiP
- 700-900 MHz + 1710-2200 MHz LTE band support
- Certifications: CE, FCC
- nRF52840 multiprotocol SoC on board
- LTE-M/NB-IoT/GPS antennas
- Nano/4FF SIM card slot
- User-programmable button and RGB LEDs
- Environmental sensor for temp, humidity, air quality and air pressure
- Color and light sensor
- Low-power accelerometer and high-g accelerometer
- 4 x NMOS transistors for external DC motors or LEDSs
- Rechargeable Li-Po battery with 1440 mAh capacity
- Multimode LTE-M/NB-IoT modem
- GCF certified for global operation
- 700 – 2200 MHz LTE band support
- 23 dBm output power
- eDRX and PSM power saving modes
- Coverage enhancement modes
- Single pin 50Ω antenna interface
- UICC interface
- Board controller
- Bluetooth LE and NFC support
- Arm Cortex-M4F @ 64 MHz
- 1MB flash & 256kB RAM
- Logistics and asset tracking
- Smart City
- Smart Agriculture
- Predictive maintenance and Industry 4.0
- Wearables and medical