San Jose, CA – May 21, 2014
® Corporation, a leader in low-power connectivity for the Internet of Things (IOT), announced the availability of its IOT Controller Application Development Kit (ADK). The main component of the IOT Controller ADK is software that could be running on an access point, a gateway, or a server attached to a gateway, with the objective of simplifying connectivity to the cloud and further extending the battery life of battery-powered IOT devices. This software works in conjunction with embedded software running on devices using GS2000 low power Wi-Fi chips or modules, and mobile reference applications.
While IOT devices using Wi-Fi don’t generally need any additional infrastructure aside from the existing Wi-Fi access points available in most residential and commercial buildings and in an expanding network of hotspots, most could benefit from the functionalities offered by the IOT Controller:
1) Simplified setup and management of multiple IOT devices within a location. By supporting mDNS / Bonjour service discovery, the IOT controller lets multiple IOT devices operate in a plug-and-play fashion. By using industry standard HTTP(s) and CoAP API, the gateway software provides a common framework for interfacing with the embedded devices, the smartphone and the cloud.
2.) The gateway software consolidates and aggregates data in a database for efficient management of connectivity to/from the cloud and a smartphone. By aggregating and filtering the data from and between the embedded IOT devices, the cloud, and the smartphone, the gateway software also allows the battery-operated devices to sleep longer, increasing the battery life of these IOT devices.
The IOT Controller ADK also includes:
-Embedded Software for GS2000 Wi-Fi based devices. This software implements service discovery, enabling low power devices to connect to the IOT gateway automatically and periodically send data or receive instructions/configuration from the gateway.
-A mobile application / dashboard providing a reference mobile application that OEMs / ODMs can use to design their own mobile app / user interface.
IOT Controller Development Kit:
Key features of the development platform:
-Controller software component:
- Uses Restlet framework and is implemented in a Java2 SE runtime/Android environment.
- .Interfaces via CoAP / HTTP to highly resource constrained devices, and via HTTP to the cloud or smartphone.
- Database for aggregation of data enabling the sensor devices to sleep longer
-Embedded software on GS2000
- mDNS discovery discovers the IOT Controller and POSTs the data on periodic intervals to the Controller.
-Reference mobile application
- Graphical interface for monitoring various sensor devices.
“We have developed the IOT controller ADK as there was a clear gap in the market for an easy to use way to enable access points or gateways to support the features required for the growing number of IOT devices in the home and then to connect them with smartphones and cloud services,” said Bernard Aboussouan, vice president of marketing, GainSpan. “Our IOT Controller ADK provides a path to deployment of innovative smart home gateways”