Lantronix® Secure Remote Management Solutions
Mar 12, 2014
The customer – a top college that is nationally recognized for its commitment to excellence with nearly 7,000 students and 330 faculty members who rely heavily on the college network at all hours of the day. With 41 buildings spread across 289 tree-lined acres, the college's IT department is called on to manage nearly 10,000 Ethernet ports campus-wide.
In a large campus environment, provide the small IT staff the ability to easily access and quickly configure, troubleshoot and repair attached equipment from anywhere, at any time.
With a limited staff of only one full-time network engineer and two system administrators, it became increasingly difficult to keep track of all the university's IT assets (what is connected where). And if a problem did occur, valuable time was wasted by physically having to travel through the large campus to each building with the problem equipment.
The college needed a robust solution that provided remote, out-of-band access to its production, disaster recovery servers and network solutions while maintaining the current service response times and staffing levels. In addition, with funding for state colleges shrinking and students expecting higher quality services, the college needed a solution that was reliable, yet cost-effective. Could Lantronix® provide a more cost-effective, reliable remote secure management over IT equipment?
- Small IT staff needs ability to easily access and quickly configure, troubleshoot and repair attached equipment from anywhere, at anytime
- Solution must be scalable, reliable and cost-effective
- Ease-of-implementation was critical
- Remote access and out-of-band connectivity
- Maintain security and a central point of access
Lantronix Secure, Consolidated IT Management Solutions Providing Out-of-Band Control & Access
Needing to "do less with more", the college turned to Lantronix and its IT management product line to provide solutions that would allow them to manage and control their equipment and servers more efficiently than before.
By utilizing Lantronix SLC secure console servers and Lantronix SLP remote power managers, the college now has remote, serial console access to its servers and network equipment in the data center and the network equipment in the freshmen dorms and new library.
But, even with this secure remote management capability, there is still the challenge of being able to locate IT assets quickly from a central point of access. The Lantronix SLM management appliance and vSLM virtual management appliance provide simultaneous port access providing the IT department the ability to locate and manage every piece of equipment connected to a Lantronix SLC or SLP throughout the entire network. Now with secure, consolidated management of all attached equipment, the limited IT staff is able to monitor and troubleshoot issues – even upload new firmware - remotely using a secure VPN from home or anywhere else.
- Rapid deployment – minimal configuration and worked out-of-the box
- Easily connect to monitor, manage, and control assets from virtually anywhere
- Integrate all equipment with one, centralized solution
- Consolidate system operations and minimize costs
- Maintain security and "always-up" data center
- Ability to increase the number of servers and network devices without increasing staff which lowers expense while maintain service
- Faster response time
Symmetry Electronics (and its e-commerce division - SemiconductorStore.com) is an authorized Lantronix distributor.