iC-TW11 Ultra Low Power 10-Bit Hall Encoder Magnetic Single-Chip Encoder with a current consumption of only a few μA
Dec 15, 2014
The Ultra Low Power Single-Chip Hall Encoder iC-TW11 by iC-Haus allows for an energy-saving 10-bit angle detection and therefore targets for example battery-buffered applications. With a sampling rate of 10 Hz an average current consumption of typically 3 μA is obtained. In standby mode between measuring cycles the idle current cuts back to approximately 100 nA. In normal operation iC-TW11 supports sampling rates of 4 kHz with an activated filter and automatic amplifier gain for 10-bit resolution at maximum accuracy. A measuring cycle can be operated either via the SPI interface or via a separate trigger input by an external event.
A new position value is being signaled to the microcontroller via interrupt. The 4-wire SPI interface can be operated with up to 16 MHz clock frequency. The interrupt structure allows a daisy chain wiring of multiple iC-TW11. Therefore a controller can capture multiple rotation axes simultaneously.
Typical applications are:
- Battery-operated dynamic speed measurement in power tools
- Position and motor control in mobile robots or airplanes
- Wireless position measuring with “energy harvesting“ power supply
- Mobile servo motor and stepper motor controls
- Simple 10-bit encoder with adaptive current consumption
- Digital control knob with high resolution and ultra-cap buffering
- Manually adjustable digital potentiometer
- Control knob with pushbutton function through evaluation of the magnetic field strength
The evaluation board iC-TW11 EVAL TW11_1C comes with an USB-interface and GUI-Software for easy testing and configuration of this single-chip encoder iC.
At a voltage supply of 3.3 V (+/- 10 %) iC-TW11 operates in the extended industrial operating temperature range from -40 to +125 °C. The space requirement of the single-chip encoder iC is especially low due to the QFN16 package with 4 mm x 4 mm. Production volume can be ordered at $4.21 in quantities of 1.000pcs.
iC-Haus GmbH is a leading, independent German manufacturer of standard iCs (ASSP) and customized ASiC semiconductor solutions with worldwide representation. The company has been active in the design, production, and sales of application-specific iCs for industrial, automotive, and medical applications for 30 years now.